What are Diabetic Wounds?
Diabetic wounds are a result of poor, or delayed healing. Healing concerns for people with diabetes are caused by peripheral arterial diseases and peripheral neuropathy. This is when small blood vessels within the body have reduced blood circulation. This lack of circulation can result in reduced oxygen supply and necessary nutrients to the tissue and nerves that are required for proper healing. If injuries are not treated properly, it can result in damage to the nerves in these areas. That is why diabetic wounds require immediate attention.
What are some symptoms?
Diabetic wounds can result in symptoms and signs including:
- The inability to feel pain
- Chronic pain
- Infection such as pus, drainage, and discharge
- Numbness and signs of nerve damage
- Fever and chills
Who is at Risk?
People who have any history of their blood glucose levels being high for an extended period of time can cause the improper function of the immune system, nervous system and circulation system. People who have un-controlled or un-managed diabetes are at highest risk of infected diabetic wounds.
What are the regular treatment
Prevention is the best way to avoid the development of diabetic wounds. If a wound occurs treatment may include:
- Disinfecting and keeping wounds clean
- Potential limb amputation
Our Unique Treatment Options
- Customized Nutritional Program for optimal wound healing.
- Collagen Matrix wound implant.
- Growth Factors to stimulate tissue regeneration at wound site.
- Platelet Rich Plasma Therapies.
- Stem Cell Therapies.
- Energy Medicine Therapies: (LASER, PMF, Micro-Current regeneration stimulation therapies etc.)
- Ozone Therapy for infection control if needed.
For individuals with diabetes it is crucial to practice prevention in order to ensure optimal health. Controlling your diabetes by practicing an active and healthy lifestyle is a great way to prevent diabetic wounds. Managing your diet and blood glucose levels is essential for controlling your diabetes and overall health.
If you are someone with diabetes and you would like to learn more about ways to avoid, or treatment for diabetic wounds, reach out to us here at Family Wellness Centre to learn more. Contact us today and schedule your consultation for a healthier you!