Dementia is a term used to describe a wide range of brain dysfunction affecting memory, language, problem solving, emotional and thinking problems. The diagnosis of dementia is feared by aging people and their family who will have to take care of them. Dementia is very cruel illness that takes away who we are as a person, our memories, our personality, our autonomy and much more. Two major medical journals have reported this month about prevention of dementia, the results may surprise you and they are a wake up call for everyone.
“The Lancet” reports that 35% of people diagnosed with dementia are actually preventable with proper nutrition, physical and mental exercise. I have written about this before, and this is not the first study to report this connection. I will add to this finding that like anything in life too little of something can cause disease and too much of the same thing can cause disease. Dementia is no different. Too much stressful mental activity or too much stressful physical activity have been linked to dementia, but, they found that 35% of cases were due to too little of basic nutritional building blocks for the brain. This leaves 65% of dementia that could be prevented by avoiding toxic stresses on the brain like excessive EMF from WiFi devices and toxic food. Integrative medicine has advanced level testing for these factors and the skills to understand the biochemistry for repairing the brain.
Another study in “JAMA Neurology” looked at what most Americans believed about dementia or their risk for getting dementia. They found that more than half of Americans believe they will develop dementia in their life. More than half of Americans believed that there was nothing they could do to prevent getting dementia. Many American had no understanding of the connection of brain health with their overall physical health. Most Americans didn’t seem to understand that dementia could be prevented and the progress delayed at any stage with simple lifestyle measures of diet, nutritional supplements and exercise.
In summary: Dementia is not an inevitable genetic brain failure. Our brain health is in our control. Seek integrative medicine help for your brain.
Integrative medicine can help at even deeper levels than mentioned in these mainstream studies. I have spent the past 20 years studying as many health traditions and different systems of medicine that I can. There is basically no area of medicine that I have not been exposed to. This has allowed me to compare and cross reference how different health care philosophies work together or don’t work together. How the different health care philosophies work together is essentially how I define what ‘integrative medicine’ is.